Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kill Devil Hills, NC

I have seen thousands of acres of soy beans growing
on farms for years, but this is the first time I was
able to see the soy bean pods up close.


Imagine my glee to see a field of cotton for
the first time ever growing!


Don't these look just like the cotton balls
one might buy in a store? Awesome!!!


At the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
we saw this eagle's nest high above the trees.


I had to include this picture taken out the front car
window of the bridge while Bill was driving. The Chesapeake
Bay Bridge Tunnel is 17 miles long.


Who would believe there is a rest area, gift shop
and fishing pier on this bridge and tunnel? In the distance
you can see the entrance to the second tunnel we went
through. The rocks in the foreground indicate
where the tunnel is about to end near the rest area.


When we entered Virginia Beach, I thought I was back
in California! I saw some Italian cypress and palm trees.
Here you see a sculpture of Neptune and the ocean
with palm trees.


Finally! I got a state sign on this trip. I never got ones
of Delaware, Maryland or Virginia. Maybe some other time.


Bill at the sign of the Wright Brothers Memorial Monument,
Kill Devil Hills, NC.


This monument stands high on a hill next to the field
that designates the first three attempts at flight.


A replica of the Wright Brothers' plane.


We entered the Cape Hatteras National Shoreline in hopes
of making it to see the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. We did not
get there since it was going to be 40 miles more south
and then 60 on the return. Maybe another time???
Who knows!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I explored Virginia Beach on Google street view last night. I was only able to go on the northbound side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. You actually pass through two tunnels coming back and forth between the Eastern and Western shores. It's amazing, but kinda scary because it seems like the closer you get to the Delmarva peninsula, the bridge sort of touches the water. I'd hate to be on that thing during a storm. LOL. You have the Chesapeake to the west and the Atlantic to the east. My goodness.

I also saw palm trees going into the town of Virginia Beach on Google. I happened to be in a nice neighborhood with fancy houses and the trees continued onto part of the tourist area. Honestly, it almost looked like Florida or South Carolina-at least around the coastal area. However, I do remember seeing small palms like the ones you saw in Virginia in the South-East Central part of North Carolina coming up and down 95. I believe we were in the Sandhills Region. But, this was just before we got to South Carolina.