Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tarboro, NC

Bill greeted this morning from the balcony of our
hotel in Kill Devil Hills, NC.


Of course I could not resist taking a shot
of the shimmering ocean at dawn.


We had an adventure walking the sand
dunes at Nags Head.


My artsy fartsy dune picture.


The dunes here are more than a mile from the ocean
and stand 80 to 100 feet high. If you look closely,
you can see people on top of the dune here at
Jockey Ridge State Park.


Driftwood carried from the ocean a hundred years
ago is being uncovered by the winds.


I don't think this is one of my more flattering pictures,
but Bill insisted I post it!


Because of the height of the dunes and the speed
of the wind, some people like to hang glide
from the very tops. You can receive instructions
through the state park service on how to hang glide safely.


Sir Walter Raleigh would be surprised to see
what happened to Roanoke Island.


Billions of dollars in real estate development and millions
in boats has made an incredible change.


Part of a reconstructed fort of the Lost Colony of
Roanoke Island (circa 1576). This English Colony
failed for many reasons. Not until 1607 did England
successfully establish a colony in Jamestown, VA.


Alligator Swamp heading west on Rt. 64.
I did not see any alligators, but signs warned of
black bear and red fox crossings.


Cotton being harvested four rows at a time.
I picked up a cotton boll on the side of the road!
My kind of keepsake.


Tobacco by the acre.

No comments: