Monday, August 18, 2008

Minnesota to Devils Lake, ND

Still in Minnesota overlooking one of 15,000 lakes with
a wheat field in the far distance. The wind was constant
and very refreshing. Keep in mind I mentioned the word
"wind" since this will be explained later on.


Some of you know that I am mesmerized by corn in the fields.
It may be my farmer side coming out in me. Here
we see wheat being harvested.


Here comes the combine! It is truly amazing to see this
machine at work. I could have stayed here for hours
watching this process. It is fascinating.


The combine gets closer.


The chaff from the wheat is thrown onto the
ground to be plowed under or used for straw.


I just had to give equal time to the soybeans along the way.
I love the dark green. Rick and Judy Lamb from PA
grow this on their farm, so I now can recognize this
crop when I see it.


I think this wonderful crop, wheat, grown from the
"bread basket of America" was worth a
closeup shot from the highway. Now, wouldn't
this make a truly interesting desktop saver for
your computer?


Sunflowers galore! There were countless
fields of these throughout Minnesota into North Dakota.


Here is a shot of one of a zillion grain elevators we have
seen along the way. I so remember reading about these
"things" in school and now I am finally seeing them
in person. This country is magnificent and we owe
a huge thank you to our farmers.


I made Bill drive back into Minnesota and into
North Dakota for a second time so I could get a picture of
this sign on the bridge over the Red River into North Dakota.
He is patient person - did I hear someone
call him Saint Luko?


Bill and I are both advocates of wind power. Bill had
found out that the largest wind farm in North Dakota
was a few miles south of Langdon. We traveled a distance
to see the 100 plus wind turbines on this farm. Above you see
the wonderful co-existance between agricultural farming and
wind farming. No problem!!!


Aren't these beautiful? We think they are.
And they are NOT noisy at all. Quite like
a children's mobile.


A close up shot of the gentle giant.


Bill is in his glory with the wind farm all about him.
We both were sad to leave this spectacular sight.
Perhaps these farmers are more progressive with solving our
energy problems than we give them credit for. Let's
go wind farms!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The close-up shot of the wheat would make a great jigsaw puzzle, too. It could keep you busy for hours.