Friday, August 29, 2008

Mt. Rainier National Park, WA

We were very happy to finally see the sun when
we got to the park.


I hope this can convey in a small way
why Washington is named the Evergreen
State. They are magnificent.


One more photo for my "case in point".


Bill likes big craggy mountains with last
winter's snow still hugging the slopes.


More of what Bill likes.


Bill stands in front of the visitor center at
the base of Mt. Rainier. Just like the mountain,
it is shaped like a volcano.


Leftover snow pack from last winter along
the side of the road in the valley. There are
predictions of snow tonight in these higher
elevations of 5,000 feet.


I always thought long thin Christmas trees looked
funky until I saw these.


Cloud cover surrounded Mt. Rainier from 7,000 feet up.


After waiting for several hours the cloud cover broke
just enough to see the very top of the mountain.


The size of Mt. Rainier is almost unimaginable.
It is a 14,000 foot volcano covered with more glaciers
than any other place in the lower 48 states.


We thought we would never be able to glimpse
this majestic mountain but the clouds parted
momentarily so we could get these photo opportunities.
I sprang out of the car so fast when Bill hollered out
the clouds had parted over Mt. Rainier. I ran down
the sidewalk to get the best shots I could.
I was like a kid in a candy store!
I hope the clouds cooperate at Mt. St. Helens tomorrow.

No comments: