Monday, September 8, 2008

Western North Dakota

This is the start of our journey into the Badlands
of North Dakota.


The red color is lignite. Lignite is coal that was
burned underground.


The area at one time was under a great ocean that
actually separated what is now the eastern and
western states.


Erosion has carved all the formations.


The horizontal lines are sedimentary layers
laid down on the bottom of the ocean.


The formations are fragile, yet beautiful.


The prairie dogs live in communities known
as prairie dog towns. They can number up to a
thousand per acre. Isn't he adorable?


A solitary bull buffalo on a pinnacle that was 70-80
feet in the air. Many in the park stopped to photograph
this unbelievable sight.


Just enjoy the view. We did.


I made Bill stand here so I could take his picture!


Leaving the park we headed east on Interstate 94. I
was captivated with the clouds. Isn't that blue sky
exquisite?


If you have been following my blog, you know I like
corn fields. I just could not stop myself from taking the
"obligatory" corn field shot along the interstate.


"Blue skies smiling at me,
Nothing but blue skies can I see."

No comments: